What can I take instead of Benadryl for allergic reaction?
OTC antihistamines include:
- Brompheniramine (Dimetane)
- Cetirizine (Zyrtec)
- Chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton)
- Clemastine (Tavist)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Fexofenadine (Allegra)
- Loratadine (Alavert, Claritin)
What is a natural alternative to Benadryl?
The 4 Best Natural Antihistamines
- Stinging nettle.
What can I take instead of Benadryl for sleep?
Over-the-Counter Alternatives to Benadryl
One over-the-counter sleep aid that can be a helpful alternative to Benadryl is melatonin. It’s a hormone produced by your body to regulate the sleep-wake cycle. Like diphenhydramine, it’s helpful as a short-term treatment if you find it difficult to fall or stay asleep.
Can taking Benadryl every night be harmful?
Long-term side effects
Over-the-counter Benadryl is approved for temporary or short-term use and isn’t intended for long-term use. There is very little scientific research about the long-term effects of Benadryl. Some side effects that may occur with long-term use include: constipation.
Which is better Zyrtec or Benadryl?
Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is great for allergies, but curl up on the couch after taking it and get ready for a nap. Zyrtec (cetirizine) works to treat sneezing and runny nose, and causes less sedation compared to Benadryl. Works well to also treat hives and itchy skin.
Is apple cider vinegar an antihistamine?
Most people with seasonal allergies use medications, such as antihistamines, which prevent compounds called histamines from attaching to cells and causing allergy symptoms. But apple cider vinegar doesn’t really have any antihistamine properties, Dr. Wolbert says.
What helps allergies at home?
What Steps Can I Take to Control Indoor Allergens?
- Control dust mites. Keep surfaces in your home clean and uncluttered. …
- Vacuum once or twice a week. …
- Prevent pet dander. …
- Prevent pollen from getting inside by keeping windows and doors closed. …
- Avoid mold spores. …
- Control cockroaches. …
What gets rid of allergies fast?
The good news is there are many natural remedies you can try to control your allergy symptoms:
- Cleanse your nose. Pollens adhere to our mucus membranes. …
- Manage stress. …
- Try acupuncture. …
- Explore herbal remedies. …
- Consider apple cider vinegar. …
- Visit a chiropractor. …
- Detox the body. …
- Take probiotics.
Is it OK to use Benadryl as a sleep aid?
For people who take an antihistamine such as Benadryl for a cold or allergies, drowsiness is often a welcome side effect. But a Baylor College of Medicine sleep expert cautions against turning to this type of medication as a sleep aid.
What is the best non prescription sleeping pill?
Which Non-Prescription Sleep Aid is Best?
- Melatonin. This is the most common over-the-counter sleep aid. …
- Magnesium. This mineral plays an important role in sleep, mood, metabolic health and heart and bone health. …
- Chamomile. Chamomile is most commonly found in herbal teas and is known for its calming effects. …
- Valerian Root. …
- Over-the-Counter Medications.
20 янв. 2020 г.
What is the strongest sleep aid over-the-counter?
- Editor’s Pick (Diphenhydramine HCl) – Vicks ZzzQuil Nighttime Sleep Aid.
- Best Value (Diphenhydramine HCl) – ValuMeds Nighttime Sleep Aid.
- Editor’s Pick (Doxylamine Succinate) – Kirkland Signature Sleep Aid.
- Best Value (Doxylamine Succinate) – Basic Care Sleep Aid.
1 июн. 2020 г.
Does Benadryl have bad side effects?
Drowsiness, dizziness, constipation, stomach upset, blurred vision, or dry mouth/nose/throat may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Is 75mg of Benadryl safe?
For adults and teens, the diphenhydramine dosage is 25 to 50 mg every 4 to 6 hours. The maximum amount you should take in one day is 300 mg. Keep in mind, taking higher doses can increase the risk of side effects, including drowsiness.
Does Benadryl help with anxiety?
One of the biggest advantages of using an OTC medication such as Benadryl to treat anxiety is that it is fast-acting and convenient. This can be helpful if you need to reduce symptoms of mild anxiety quickly. Because Benadryl causes many people to feel drowsy, it can also help aid in sleep.